Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares


While I anxiously awaited its publication, I was a little disappointed by this book.  I wanted to find out what happened, but I felt as though some of the plot was underdeveloped.  Parts toward the end even felt rushed.

Prenna and her mother belong to a group of people that come from the future.  They come from a time when a plague and environmental destruction have devastated the earth.  When they arrive in present day, Ethan sees Prenna and instantly falls in love.  However, Prenna is forbidden from forming a relationship with anyone as part of a set of rules set forth by her community. 

Prenna finds out that she is supposed to help reverse an event that is going to occur on May 17, 2014. She and Ethan set out to change the outcome so they can save society.  They go against the rules set forth by Prenna's people.

The end of the book felt rushed, as it could have been developed to a greater degree.  It left me wanting to know more - parts that I thought should have been discussed more.  That being said, it was interesting to read and try to wrap my mind around time travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment