Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

 
Very rarely do I finish a book and want to open it right back up and start again.  This was exactly how I felt upon the completion of I'll Give You the Sun. I wanted to dive right back into the pages so I could experience its beauty all over again.
 
Reading I'll Give You the Sun is like eating the most decadent piece of chocolate - you want to savor every morsel and never want it to end.  The language Nelson uses is lyrical.  I found myself frequently rereading sentences just so I could relish the way the words went together to create this beautiful piece of art. Because of the language Nelson used, I could feel every emotion the characters were feeling.
 
Within the story, there was an abundance of emotion.  It is the story of close twins Noah and Jude, told in alternating perspectives.  Noah's story takes place around when he's 13, and Jude's story picks up three years later, after an accident that has impacted their lives and left them not speaking to one another.  Noah is navigating his way through his teens with a secret of falling in love with the boy next door.  Jude has been accepted to an art school, where she is haunted by the ghosts of her mother and grandmother.  She realizes that she can make her dead mother proud if she can just create one piece of art for her.  This project leads her to her soul mate as well as a famous sculptor who becomes an influential mentor.  Jude and Noah discover and uncover secrets about themselves and their mother that shape the way they see the world.  As they tell their sides of the story, it is clear that each only has half.  It is not until they come together again that they can put the pieces together, where everything comes full circle and secrets are revealed.
 
This novel is surprising, breath-taking, and full of hope.  The passion on the pages will stay with readers long after the final word is read.  The characters and story are ones that will not easily be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment